Asansol is a city in West Bengal of Indian state; it is one of the fastest growing cities and second largest city of West Bengal after Calcutta. The history of Asansol is about 2500 years old having significant evidence of Jain activity. It is said that Mahavira Vardhmana the last Tirthankar of Jain religion resided here and the place was known as Bardhaman. It is located between two rivers Ajay and Damodar. Asansol is a planned industrial city discovered by German and the British in 18th century, is one of the busiest commercial centres of India having Coal mines, Steel Plant and many small industries.
How to Reach
Asansol is a major junction on the Howrah-Delhi Track connecting most of the cities. To travel by road the highway of four lanes with dividers are built and there are many state buses and Volvo Air Conditioned buses connecting many cities. By plane the nearest commercial airport is Calcutta and for small planes and private airstrip is at Burnpur.
Places to Visit
- Churulia is a birthplace of the Kazi Nazrul Islam a National Poet of Bangladesh. There is a museum where all his works are displayed in his memorial.
- Nehru Park is a beautiful Garden on the bank of Damodar River in Burnpur.
- Kalyaneswari Temple is a place of pilgrimage for lady fulfilment especially for barren women.
- Maithon Dam is a Hydro Electric Power station.
- Searsol is 200 years old village famous for Durga Puja and Ratha Yatra
- Santiniketan was founded by Rabindranath Tagore, which is now a University and institution of National Importance.
- Bishnupur is a home of major art and craft known as terracotta temple town.
- Jaydev Kenduli is a village dedicated to a Sanskrit Poet Jaydeva on the banks of the Ajay River.
- Joychandi Pahar is a centre for Rock Climbing and a beautiful picnic spot.
- Panchet Dam is also a wonderful spot to visit it is about 20 km from Asansol.
- Satabdi Park is a children park with paddle boating and rides.
There are many upcoming projects in this area and it has best educational and medical facilities. The major industries in Asansol are Coal India Ltd, Steel Plant of Steel Authority of India, Chittaranjan Locomotive Works, Hindustan Cables Ltd., Disergarh power Supply, Damodar Valley Corporation, CBM Project, Reliance Retail, Reliance Industries Ltd, etc. and there are also many cement plants and refractory units such as Burnpur Cement, Asansol Cement, Kabita Refractories and so on.
Source by Mamta Pabreja
bina rumah atas tanah sendiri
kontraktor rumah selangor